Camper fire in Juniper Ridge 2-1-23

Bend Fire Department was dispatched to a reported motorhome and encampment on fire in Juniper Ridge as noted by multiple callers. Crews arrived to find the motorhome and camp fully involved but had not spread to neighboring camps. The occupant had already escaped the motorhome and was safely in another vehicle away from the fire when we arrived. 

The main fire was stopped quickly but took another hour to fully extinguish due to the extent of what had burned. Bend Fire Department engines were assisted by a water tender from Redmond Fire and Rescue and deputies from DCSO. The fire was determined to be caused by a failed heater I the motorhome. The failure allowed the propane tank to catch fire and spread to the rest of the vehicle and adjacent materials. One motorhome, 2 vehicles and an adjacent tarped area were destroyed in the fire. Damages were estimated at $20,000 for the vehicles and contents lost. No injuries were reported.