Olympia – Scarecrows, jack-o-lanterns, paper ghosts, and dried cornstalks all show that it’s Halloween time. Unfortunately, Halloween decorations can become truly scary if they catch fire. The State Fire Marshal’s Office recommends the following fire safety tips:
· Use battery-operated candles, flashlights, or glow-sticks in jack-o-lanterns rather than candles with real flames. This can prevent costumes or decorations from catching on fire.
· If you use real candles, place lit jack-o-lanterns out of the path of trick-or-treaters and away from flammable decorations like cornstalks and crepe paper.
· Show children how to stop, drop, and roll if their costume catches fire. Have them practice, stopping immediately, dropping to the ground, covering their face with their hands, and rolling over and over to put the flames out.
· Ensure all smoke alarms in your home are working properly.
· Keep exits around your home clear of decorations, so nothing blocks escape routes.
For more information, contact the State Fire Marshal’s Office at (360) 596-3929.