Create memories and explore the forest while hunting for a Christmas tree this holiday season! Christmas tree permits for the Mt. Hood National Forest are available online at Recreation.gov and in person through Dec. 31. Permits are $5 per tree with a limit of five permits per household.
Christmas tree permits are available for purchase online at Recreation.gov and must be printed to be valid. Recreation.gov charges an additional $2.50 service fee per order.
Finding and cutting a Christmas tree is a long-standing tradition and a way to spend time with loved ones on your national forest.
“There’s just something special about cutting your own Christmas tree,” said Cara Lewis, Forester for Mt. Hood National Forest. “The Christmas tree program helps other trees grow larger and can open areas to provide food for wildlife. Not only does the permit system improve forest health, but it’s a fun way to get families outdoors and exploring their public lands.”
Tree cutting is prohibited along Highways 26, 35, 216, and 224; in designated Wildernesses; in the Bull Run and The Dalles Watersheds; Camp Baldwin; and areas closed to public entry.
Christmas tree permits are also available in person at the following local businesses:
- Estacada Ace Hardware: 310 SE Main St., Estacada. 503-630-3769
- Estacada Tackle Shop, 210 SE Hwy 224, Estacada. 503-630-7424
- Hood River Tum-A-Lum Lumber, 408 Hwy 35, Hood River. 541-386-1001
- Sportsman’s Warehouse, 9401 SE 82nd Ave., Portland. 503-777-8700
- Mt. Hood Village Market, 73265 Hwy 26, Rhododendron. 503-622-4652
- Sandy Ace Heritage Hardware, 39181 Pioneer Blvd. #417, Sandy. 503-668-8731
- The Dalles Tum-A-Lum Lumber, 240 Terminal Ave., The Dalles. 541-296-5414
- Tygh Valley General Store, 57723 Tygh Valley Road, Tygh Valley. 541-483-2324
- Wamic Market and Supply, 57016 Wamic Market Road, Wamic. 541-544-2333
- Hoodland Thriftway, 68280 Hwy 26, Welches. 503-622-3244
- Welches Mountain Building Supply, 67250 Hwy 26, Welches. 503-622-3000
Permits are also available at forest offices.
Clackamas River Ranger District
Monday- Friday, 8:00- 4:00
Saturday from Nov. 26 to Dec. 17, 8:00- 2:00
Zigzag Ranger District
Monday- Friday, 8:00- 4:00
Saturday & Sunday from Dec. 3 to Dec. 18, 8:00- 2:00
Barlow Ranger District
Tuesdays & Thursdays, 8:00- 4:30
Hood River Ranger District
Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays, 9:00- 3:30
Do you have a 4th-grader at home? All 4th-graders can receive one free Christmas tree permit at forest offices as part of the national Every Kid Outdoors initiative. For students to receive their free tree permit, they must present a 4th-grade recreation pass or a valid paper voucher, which can be printed at the Every Kid Outdoors website.
Remember, winter weather in the forest can change rapidly. Most forest roads are not maintained for winter driving. Forest staff recommend bringing traction devices and a shovel, extra food, drinking water, winter clothing, blankets, a flashlight, and a first aid kit. Don’t forget a tool, such as a hand saw, for cutting the tree and a rope or cord to secure it to vehicles. Tree cutting and travel may take longer than anticipated, so let someone know where you’re going and leave the woods well before dark.