Christmas tree permits for the Mt. Hood National Forest are now available to purchase at local vendors and online through Recreation.gov. Purchase a permit, as well as download cutting area maps and tree cutting tips at: https://tinyurl.com/mthoodtreepermit. Permits are $5 per tree with a limit of 5 permits per household. Recreation.gov charges an additional $2.50 service fee per order.
The Forest Service decided to move permit sales to Recreation.gov as an added convenience for visitors, as well as provide an alternative to in-person transactions at forest offices, which that remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
To purchase a Christmas Tree permit online, visit: https://tinyurl.com/mthoodtreepermit. It is important to carefully read the overview and need-to-know information prior to purchasing the permit. Visitors will also need to set up or login to a Recreation.gov account to complete the transaction.
Tree cutting is prohibited along Hwys. 26, 35, & 216; in Wilderness; in Bull Run Watershed and The Dalles Watershed; fire closure areas; Camp Baldwin; and other areas closed to public entry.
Winter weather in the forest can change rapidly. Most forest roads are not maintained for winter driving. Forest staff recommend bringing traction devices and a shovel, extra food, drinking water, winter clothing, blankets, a flashlight, and a first aid kit. Don’t forget a tool for cutting the tree and a rope or cord to secure it to vehicles. Tree cutting and travel may take longer than anticipated, so let a friend or family member know where you’re going, get an early start, and leave the woods well before dark.
For additional safety information, fire closure maps, and updates to areas impacted by wildfires and the Labor Day windstorm visit: www.fs.usda.gov/goto/mthood/2020fires
Christmas tree permits are also available in person at the following vendor locations:
· Tygh Valley General Store, 57715 Tygh Valley Road, Tygh Valley, OR. 541-483-2324
· Kramers Market, 121 Main Street, Dufur, OR. 541-467-2455
· Wamic Market and Supply, 57016 Wamic Market Rd., Wamic, OR 97063. 541-544-2333
· Hood River Tum-A-Lum Lumber, 408 Hwy 35, Hood River, OR. 541-386-1001
· Estacada Tackle Shop, 210 SE Hwy 224, Estacada, OR. 503-630-7424
· Estacada Tackle Shop, 210 SE Hwy 224, Estacada, OR. 503-630-3769
· Sandy ACE Heritage Hardware, 39181 Pioneer Boulevard, Sandy, OR. 503-668-8731
· Thriftway, 68280 Hwy 26, Welches, OR. 503-622-3244
· Welches Mountain Building Supply, 67250 Hwy 26, Welches, OR 97067. 503-622-3000
· Mt. Hood Village Market, 73265 Hwy 26, Rhododendron, OR 97049. 503-622-4652
· Sportsman’s Warehouse, 9401 SE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR. 503-777-8700
· Zigzag Ranger District, 70220 E. Hwy. 26, Zigzag, OR. 503-622-3191; Walk-up window open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (closed from 12:00 to 1:00). Fourth- and fifth- graders can receive a Christmas tree permit for free at Zigzag RD but must have their Every Kid Outdoors pass or voucher with them. Get an Every Kid Outdoors pass at: www.everykidoutdoors.gov