Apparent natural gas leak causes explosion, home fire

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. (AP) — An apparent natural gas leak caused a large explosion that shook a Mount Vernon neighborhood and caused a large home fire.

KOMO reports the explosion was reported just after 6 a.m. Monday.

Firefighters arrived to find a “raging fire” in a home reportedly fueled by a leaking natural gas line.

Peter Donovan with the city of Mount Vernon said two people were inside the home at the time of the explosion and managed to escape. One of the residents was injured and was taken to a local hospital, but the extent of their injuries was not given. The other resident was not hurt.

Officials from Cascade Natural Gas were at the scene working to shut off the gas line.

Nearby Mount Vernon High School was closed for the day due to the fire response.