Fire consumes businesses in Seattle’s Ballard neighborhood

SEATTLE (AP) — Firefighters battled a blaze in Seattle’s Ballard neighborhood that destroyed several businesses.

The Seattle Fire Department said on Twitter that the fire in the 2300 block of Northwest Market Street was reported just after noon Monday.

Seattle Fire spokeswoman Kristin Tinsley told the Seattle Times that someone at Supercuts called 911 after smelling smoke.

Businesses were evacuated, and firefighters cut holes in the building’s roof to release toxic gases and smoke. La Isla and Pho Big Bowl restaurants, Supercuts, Kitchen N Things and a jeweler were among the businesses in the building.

A news outlet’s live video of the fire showed flames engulfing the roof and firefighters working to hold the fire to that building using ladder trucks with water hoses blasting the flames.

Officials say one firefighter was taken with minor injuries to a hospital.

Firefighters said at 3:30 p.m. that the fire was under control and that firefighters would remain at the scene overnight to prevent the fire from restarting.