MOUNT VERNON, Wash. (AP) — A trumpeter swan treated for suspected lead poisoning has been released back to the wild.
The Skagit Valley Herald reports the swan was found January 17 when it became entangled in a fence and Mount Vernon Animal Control was called in.
The state Department of Fish and Game also was called in because trumpeter swans are a protected species.
The swan was taken to the Whatcom Humane Society’s wildlife rehabilitation center after rescuers noticed it was wobbly and stumbling.
Lead poisoning is a common affliction for birds that ingest buckshot.
Mount Vernon police Lt. Chris Cammock says the swan was released back to the wild on Thursday after several weeks of treatment.