Acetylene leak closes Oregon State campus building

CORVALLIS, Ore. (AP) — An Oregon State University campus building has been evacuated after combustible gas was found leaking inside.

The Gazette-Times reports firefighters were sent to the Oak Creek Building in Corvallis shortly after 11 a.m., when reports came in of acetylene gas fumes in the building.

Corvallis Fire Department spokesman Jim Patton says the leak occurred because of a broken valve on an acetylene tank used in one of the building’s laboratories.

Patton says all students, faculty and staff were evacuated and that no one has been injured and there is no risk to the public.

Firefighters are keeping people out of the structure while fume hoods in the lab vent the gas out of the building.