House fire caused by cigarette kills one in Green, Oregon

ROSEBURG, Ore. (AP) — Authorities say a cigarette caused a house fire that killed a person in southwestern Oregon.

Douglas County Fire District No. 2 says crews responding to Monday’s fire in Green found heavy black smoke coming from the back of the home. A neighbor helped one person and a pet escape, but another person died in the blaze.

The News-Review reports that investigators determined the fire was caused by a cigarette that someone had been smoking in bed.