Toxic leak sickens 3 workers at waste transfer station

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — Officials say three workers at a waste transfer station in north Spokane County were sickened after a spill of a hazardous substance.

The Spokesman-Review reports the workers were taken to a hospital for treatment and county officials closed the transfer station after the incident Monday afternoon.

Spokeswoman Martha Lou Wheatley-Billeter says an aerosol can burst while it was being compacted in the facility near Colbert.

Wheatley-Billeter says the employees displayed symptoms ranging from irritated skin to vomiting and were taken to local hospitals for observation. She says they are expected to be OK.

The county has hired Clean Harbors Environmental Services Inc. to investigate the incident and identify the aerosol substance.