Saturday, April 21, the seven Democrats who are running for their party’s nomination for Eastern Oregon’s Second Congressional District and the right to run against Republican Greg Walden in November held the final candidates night before the primary. Below are the questions from moderators Emily Reed and Rodger Nichols. To hear the answers, click on the grey podcast bars below.
- Healthcare (Emily) (2 minutes each)
- Currently, 60% of Americans say the government should be responsible for ensuring health care coverage for all Americans. What is your approach to healthcare?
- Economy/Infrastructure (Rodger) (2 minutes each)
- Rural Oregon was hit harder by the recession than urban areas, and a recent report shows that even after 7 years of uneven economic recovery, Oregon’s rural counties remain below peak employment. What steps will you take to fix this?
- Light Question: What would surprise us about you? (Emily) (approx. 10 – 15 sec each)
- Environment/climate change (Rodger) (2 minutes each)
- According to the Oregon Climate Change Research Institute (OCCRI), Climate change will undoubtedly affect the water cycle and forest resources in the Pacific Northwest. Which of the environmental programs that have been taken away in the past year would you bring back or new ones you would introduce?
- Gun safety in rural Oregon (Emily) (2 minutes each)
- The Parkland Students released a 5-point policy agenda. I you could only do one, which would you choose? The 5 points are: fund gun violence research, a national gun database, universal background checks, high-capacity magazine ban, and a ban on assault weapons.
- Light Question: What is the best book you’ve ever read? (Rodger) (approx. 10 – 15 sec each)
- Immigration/Ag (Emily) (2 minutes each)
- According to FiveThirtyEight, Representative Walden has voted in line with Trump 98.6% of the time including penalizing states that have sanctuary laws on immigration. What are your views on immigration and how it effects our State?
- Veterans/Privatization of Services (Rodger) (2 minutes each)
- According to Congressional Research Service, about half of our armed forces is outsourced to private military contractors. Tell us your thoughts on this.
- Light Question: In 140 characters or less, tell us what it means to be a Democrat (Emily) (approx. 10 – 15 sec each)
- Communication with Constituents (Rodger) (2 minutes each)
- A 2014 study from Princeton & Northwestern1 (as well as several other studies that followed) confirmed that those with more money have more influence in our current political system. How do you reconcile the fact that you need money to get elected from the fact that that donated money buys access to you?
Candidates Summaries (Emily) (30 seconds each)