In case you haven’t heard the news, the historic Goldendale Library is being remodeled starting this spring.
After holding public meetings in the fall of 2016, we worked out our design, with the goal of maintaining the classic Carnegie Library character while improving flow and usability. Here’s the plan:
- New furniture, flooring and paint
- New LED lighting and energy efficient windows
- Accessibility upgrades
- Remodeled restrooms
- New teen space and study rooms
- More gathering space and comfortable seating areas
- New shelving on the second floor and in the children’s area
- Refreshed collection of library materials
- Additional internet computers
- Reorganized staff areas and service desk
- Exterior repairs
This $1 million project will be funded from three different sources:
- The Wilma Olsen Fund. From an original donation of just over $100,000, the fund has grown to over $500,000 thanks to careful investment. After discussions with the donor’s family, we plan to use this money to refurbish the second floor.
- A bequest from Shirley Ann Iams.Shirley was a Goldendale native who ended her decades-long career as a librarian with Seattle Public Library. When she passed away on October 6, 2016, she left the Goldendale library a sizable bequest totaling nearly $180,000 to date. We’ll use this bequest to remodel the children’s area.
- FVRL capital reserve. FVRL has money set aside for capital projects, and we’ll use some of this reserve for infrastructure repair: upgrading windows and lighting, replacing the concrete steps, and improving the staff area in the basement.
What is the remodel schedule?
Friday, April 13: Last day the library will be open
Monday, April 23: Library services become available at Goldendale City Hall
We don’t have a reopen date yet, but remodeling will probably take a few months.There will not be a book drop available between April 14 and April 23, and no materials are due back until the 23rd. On April 23rd, the book drop will reopen at the City Hall location. All book donations should be taken to the Friends of the Library’s book barrel at the General Store on Main Street throughout construction. Tax forms are available through April 13th only. Materials you have placed on hold may be picked up starting on Monday, April 23rd at the City Hall location. Deliveries will be made twice per week throughout construction.
How can I use the library during the remodel?
Use one of these locations starting April 23:
Goldendale City Hall
1103 S Columbus Ave
Monday–Friday, 10 am–6 pm
Pick up holds, return items, check out Lucky Day books and other materials, read magazines and newspapers, or use library computers, printers and Wi-Fi, beginning April 23.
Father’s House Fellowship
207 S Klickitat Ave
We’ll be holding library programs and events here. See the events calendar for the full schedule.
The bookmobile will continue its normal runs. See the full bookmobile schedulefor all the details.
What about book groups and storytimes?
Book discussion groups will continue to meet on second Mondays at 11 am and 6 pm in the Council Chambers at City Hall.
Storytime will be held on Wednesdays at 11 am from June 20 through August 8 in the Council Chambers at City Hall.
Will there be a Summer Reading program this year?
Yes! We still have prizes for readers of all ages and a full schedule of special programs at Father’s House Fellowship. Sign up betwen June 15 and August 15 online, at the City Hall location, on the bookmobile, or at any Fort Vancouver Regional Library.
Erin Krake, Branch Manager
Goldendale Community Library