Witnesses rescue woman from overturned burning van near Cascade Locks

06 10 13  I-84 mp44 fire_1Oregon State Police troopers are continuing the investigation into Monday morning’s single vehicle rollover injury crash that led to a vehicle fire spreading into the grass and trees along Interstate 84 near Cascade Locks. The woman was rescued by several people who stopped following the crash and is being treated at a Portland-area hospital for non-life threatening injuries.

Preliminary information indicates on June 10, 2013 at approximately 10:30 a.m., a 2010 Toyota Camry driven by KETSY ROEDER, age 60, from Kennewick, Washington, was eastbound on Interstate 84 near milepost 44 when it traveled onto the right shoulder where it appeared the driver lost control. The vehicle struck a rock mound, went airborne and up an embankment into trees before rolling over several times and coming to rest on its top on the highway shoulder.

The overturned vehicle caught fire as several people stopped at the scene and approached it. A man kicked out a rear side window as ROEDER remained inside unconscious and secured by her safety restraint. A group of people rolled the vehicle onto its side where the same man used a baseball bat provided by another person and broke out the car’s sunroof. Reaching inside, he cut off the safety belt as ROEDER was regaining consciousness. Several people teamed together, pulling ROEDER out of the burning vehicle and then moved her about 20 feet away while waiting for firefighters to arrive.

After Cascade Locks Fire & EMS arrived, firefighters extinguished the fire that had also spread up the embankment into nearby trees. Medical personnel treated ROEDER at the scene and then she was taken by ground ambulance to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland where she is in fair condition.

OSP is continuing the investigation into the cause of the crash. Trooper Scott Kinch is the lead investigator.

ODOT assisted at the scene including coordination of traffic control while the eastbound lanes were closed for fire suppression and then open to one lane. All lanes were open about 90 minutes after the crash.

Leave A Comment...