VANCOUVER – Congresswoman Jaime Herrera Beutler announced today that her 2014 Congressional Art Competition is officially open to high school students across Southwest Washington.
The Congressional Art Competition is open to all high school students, grades 9-12, who either reside or attend school in Southwest Washington’s 3rd Congressional District.
The winner of the competition will have his or her artwork displayed for one year in Washington, DC’s U.S. Capitol Building Corridor. The winner will also receive free airfare for themselves and one guest to attend a ribbon-cutting ceremony in Washington, DC.
The deadline for entering the competition is April 15th, 2014.
“We have some very talented young artists in Southwest Washington and this competition is always a great opportunity to showcase our student’s artistic ability.” said Jaime. “The judges always have their hands full having to pick a winner among so much great art and I’m sure this year will be no different. If this competition interests you, please contact my district office for further instruction.”
* Entries must be submitted electronically, via digital photo.
* To be eligible, the actual art must be two-dimensional, framed, and can be no larger than 28″x28″x4 (28 inches high, 28 inches wide, and 4 inches deep
* Artwork must be original in concept, design and execution.
* Artwork accepted mediums are as follows:
* Paintings: oil, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
* Drawings: pastels, colored pencil, pencil, charcoal, ink, markers
* Collage: Must be two dimensional
* Prints: lithographs, silkscreen, block prints
* Mixed Media: use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
* Computer-generated art
* Entries will be evaluated by a blue ribbon panel of judges from counties within Southwest Washington’s 3rd Congressional District.
* Second and third place entries will be displayed in Jaime’s office over the next year.
For complete details and guidelines, students and education leaders should call Jaime’s office at (360) 695-6292.
Art submission forms can be found at: jaimehb.house.gov/assistingyou/artscompetition.htm