October 7th, Best Western Plus Hood River Inn, 6 PM
The White Salmon Valley Education Foundation (WSVEF) is calling on all operatives! Your mission is to donate to or attend the 2017 Gorge Grape Escape, and become anAgent of Opportunity!
The Foundation’s annual fundraising event will be held Saturday, October 7th at the Best Western Plus Hood River Inn. We’ll start the evening with opportunities to navigate fun and intriguing games of chance for a chance to win your pick of amazing prizes. You’ll enjoy dinner and regional wines as you try to secure top live auction items, all in a bid to provide increased opportunities in education. Live auction highlights include:
- Enjoy a spring break getaway to Baja where you will stay in a 500 square foot casita on the Bay of La Ventana. Before you leave, you’ll stay at the Radisson near the airport and enjoy a $50 gift certificate for dinner at the hotel’s Lakeside Bar and Grill. Leave your car there for up to 2 weeks of free parking and take the hotel’s shuttle to the airport. The Casita is available during White Salmon’s spring break, March 31 – April 7th, 2018.
- Recruit distant operatives: Treat your friends or family to a two night stay in an ultra-modern guest house, perched high atop White Salmon’s Strawberry Mountain. Made complete with 2 bottles of wine, 2 lift tickets to Mt. Hood Meadows and a $100 gift certificate to Henni’s restaurant, this is the perfect way to entertain your guests!
- A chance to take home up to two framed historic photos from Maryhill Museum’s Sam Hill Archives. One is a photographic record of Celilo Locks, buried beneath the waters of the Columbia since the construction of the Dalles Dam, and the other is of one of the most iconic Gorge images: a view of Crown Point from Rooster Rock, prior to the 1917 construction of Vista House.
- A 007 Adventure package which includes a trip back in time flying in a 1942 Waco, an open cockpit biplane or hop in a Cessna for a valley tour, then head to Skamania Lodge Adventures with four passes to their Aerial Park. Finish off your training with a Discover SCUBA intro class for two.
- A weekend in Tacoma, a burgeoning secret hotspot, that includes two nights at the beautiful over-the-water Silver Cloud Inn complete with a hearty breakfast, four tickets to the Museum of Glass, dinner at Farelli’s Wood Fire Pizza and a two-hour cruise from Destiny Harbor Tours.
- The Ultimate Wine Package: a case of wine from Cascade Cliffs ($800), hand selected by the vintner, and 6 bottles from Maryhill Winery to take home as you leave the Grape Escape. In addition, you’ll enjoy a private tour, tasting and appetizers for 4 at Cascade Cliff’s 20 acre vineyard and a visit to Maryhill Winery for a tour of their stunning vineyard & a tasting for up to 8 people. Take home stemless crystal glassware to remember this perfect package!
- From Indonesia with Love: Spend an evening with up to 12 friends overlooking the Columbia and Mt. Hood at the beautiful home of Peter and Lia Davidson. You will be treated to the cuisine of SE Asia prepared by Lia Davidson, an Indonesian Native and wonderful cook! Enjoy live piano music by Bob Schwarz while you share dinner and 8 bottles of assorted wines with your friends. Available dates are Saturday April 28 and May 5, but are open to change with winning bidder.
- Manzanita Mission: Escape the winter inversion in the Gorge and head to Manzanita for a cozy, two-night stay at an out-of-the-ordinary octagonal log home that sleeps six, and feels like your own private tree house. We’ll send you with two bottles of wine and gift certificates to Manzanita’s best places to dine. Offered Nov-Feb. Holidays excluded.
- Student Art: A one of a kind, colorful acrylic on panel was inspired by the works of Neo-pop artist Romero Britto and was made by students at WPS Intermediate school and artist Molly Holmlund.
- Live and Let Build: This is the best birthday party in the Gorge! Invite up to 8 kids ages 8 -14 years old to Makerspace in White Salmon and revel in 2-3 hours of seeing what your kids can construct as they engage in creating and uncovering the fun of building and design. When they’re done, use an $100 gift certificate from Beneventi’s to cap off the perfect party.
- License to Fly: Does your child dream of soaring through the skies? Well, here’s his or her chance to get a taste of the real thing! Start with an hour of simulator experience at Tac Aero- Hood River Airport. Then head to Hood River Soar for an introductory glider flight (students must be aged 13-18) for 30 minutes of ground instruction, and 30 minutes of flight time in a tandem ship operated by a private glider pilot. To build the technical skills of your pilot, you’ll also receive a pass for a high school student to attend Insitu’s week long RoboFlight Academy in July 2018. Reflect with your young pilot over dinner at Twin Peaks with a $50 gift certificate.
- Landscape Design: Start with 6 hours of landscape design, complete with a planting plan with F.L.I. Landscape. Once you have your vision secured, you’ll have a half day of with a mini excavator and operator from Crestline Construction. Finish the project with 3 yards of compost delivered by Dirt Hugger and make your dream a reality!
- The Secret Passage: A gorgeous 36x 36 oil on linen abstract painting by Rachel Harvey that’s perfect for your home or office.
- Quantum of Fun Family Day Pack: Start your day at the White Salmon Bakery with this gift certificate for $50. Then head north to Riverdrifters, where you will be guided down the rapids of the mighty White Salmon on this half-day 6 person raft trip. After taking in the beauty of the river, relive the adventures at Everybody’s with a gift certificate for $100.
- Tickets to the Seahawks V. Redskins: You and your sidekick will walk the field before the game; you can’t get much closer to the gridiron than this! Then get a behind the scenes scoop from a Fox Sports TV producer on what it’s like to cover some of the biggest events in sports before claiming your 2 game seats.
- Amundson Source SUP: This stable board is fitted with deck inserts for coolers and tackles boxes and is also great for tandem cruising or taking the family out. The Rhino-Lite construction makes this a bomb-proof board for the daily use and abuse it will get when sharing with all your friends and family. They accelerate quickly, glide easily and can even handle mellow surf. Novice paddlers up to 300 pounds can succeed on day one.
The Grape Escape Grand Raffle will feature three amazing prizes: A $500 spending spree at Doug’s Sports in Hood River, complete with a private after hours shopping experience for up to 6 of your friends with drinks and hors d’oeuvres; a Romance Package weekend at the Heathman lodge which includes a suite, champagne and $50 toward a delicious dinner at Hudson’s; and the latest craze in coolers, the Yeti Hopper cooler bag valued at $400.
Doors open at 6pm. Tickets are $60 per person or $110 per couple, and can be purchased at www.the-gorge-grape-escape.com. All proceeds benefit the WSVEF and our local schools. They are going quickly, so get your today!
“The Foundation has provided well over $2.6 million to our schools since 2006 thanks to the generosity of our community,” said WSVEF Executive Director Amanda Lawrence. “We hope all the wonderful folks in the Gorge will accept this assignment and join us at the Grape Escape or make a donation if they cannot attend. To buy tickets or to make a donation, go to www.the-gorge-grape.escape.com.
The WSVEF is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit corporation dedicated to enhancing the quality of public education within our community by creating a stable source of supplemental funding for curriculum enhancement and investment in our teachers. At least 25% of every donation goes to the WSVEF’s endowment fund, which will allow for continued grant funding into the future. For more information, or to m