01 09 13 Vertical part of Recreation sign comes down

Shortly after 9 o’clock this morning, workers used a crane to remove the vertical portion of the Recreation Café sign, which has been in that location since 1958. It was so tall, workers had to use cutting torches to cut it in two pieces to fit on a trailer for hauling away. Removal of the sign is part of the preparation for complete removal of the whole building, originally constructed in 1946. Columbia Gateway Urban Renewal Agency purchased the former Recreation Café and adjoining buildings at 213, 215 and 219 East 2nd Street, for $475,000 in late 2010 as part of a long term project to attract a hotel redevelopment project in that block. Portions of the parking lot behind the Recreation and behind the next block east have been excavated to see if there are any archaeological items of value that would prevent or delay construction of the hotel and associated parking complex. Click on the picture below to change view, and check the video below

Play

Leave A Comment...

*


*